Emmanuel Lutheran Church
We are an NALC congregation located in Grafton, Iowa. We welcome all members, guests, and visitors to our services.
A renewed Lutheran community moving forward in faith, the NALC is focused on living out Christ's Great Commission to go and make disciples in North America and around the globe. We invite you to learn more about our church family.
We confess the following: We believe in The Triune God — Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We look to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and the Gospel as the power of God for the salvation of all who believe. Jesus Christ is the Word of God incarnate, through whom everything was made and through whose life, death, and resurrection God fashions a new creation. The proclamation of God’s message to us as both, Law and Gospel, is the Word of God, revealing judgment and mercy through word and deed, beginning with the Word in creation, continuing in the history of Israel, and centering in all its fullness in the person and work of Jesus Christ. The canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the written Word of God. Inspired by the Holy Spirit speaking through their authors, they record and announce God’s revelation centering in Jesus Christ. Through them the Holy Spirit speaks to us to create and sustain Christian faith and fellowship for service in the world. We adhere to the Apostles’, Nicene, and Athanasian Creeds as true declarations of the faith of the Church and are guided by the Unaltered Augsburg Confession as a true witness to the Gospel.
As a member congregation of the North American Church we embrace four core values which shape our common life. We seek to be: Christ Centered, Mission Driven, Traditionally Grounded, and Congregationally Focused. We desire to reach out to all people in the wider Grafton community and to live lives as faithful disciples, inviting others into the community that bears the name of Christ.
We are Lutheran Christians and our community is a member congregation of the North American Lutheran Church which was constituted in 2010 and today, in 2017, has over 600 pastors and more than 420 congregations across North America.
The official ‘birthday’ of Emmanuel Lutheran Church is January 1st, 1883. Lots of renovations, additions and changes to the church and the parsonage have been undertaken since then. The current church building was built in 1936; the current parsonage in 1958 and the Education Wing in 1996. The sanctuary is beautified by exquisite stained glass windows and a hand-carved reredos – altar relief/picture – carved by Alois Lang, a German wood carving artist. It was carved in 1936 and matches the pulpit, lectern, pews and credence tables.